Using Apple ProRes media in LumaFusion in iOS 15
With the release of iOS 15, Apple has added support for Apple ProRes media on a limited set of devices. We are still investigating which devices support ProRes and will update this FAQ as we learn more.
- If you export a project archive of a project with ProRes media, make sure you use the Full Original Media option to backup the project. With the trimmed media option, the media will be re-encoded to H.264. (This will be changed in an upcoming update.)
- Note that Video Quality has no affect on ProRes exports (and will be hidden when ProRes codecs are selected in a future update)
- If you try and import a project with ProRes media onto a device that doesn't support ProRes, the import may crash, or you may simply have clips that play audio but not video on the timeline. In the future we will add additional options for exporting to non-ProRes devices.
- ProRes media uses large amounts of storage. Please make sure you have plenty of space available on your iPad Pro to work with ProRes media. Using an external SSD drive with External Drive Editing turned on can be helpful.
- ProRes media is a very new feature and may present issues with certain media, so use with caution.
- We have found one issue where with certain media in certain combinations on a timeline, the preview doesn't update properly after an edit, when opening the clip editor, or when leaving and returning to LumaFusion (the incorrect frame will be shown in the preview). Simply step forward or backward or scrub to resolve this within the clip editor. We will work to resolve this issue in an upcoming update.
- We currently don't support download of ProRes media from Frame.io (we always download H.264 versions). We will provide an option to download ProRes media from Frame.ioin an upcoming update.
- Reversed media is transcoded into H.264, this will be fixed in a later update.
ProRes Formats Supported
For devices that support ProRes, the following ProRes formats are supported:
- Apple ProRes 422
- Apple ProRes 422LT
- Apple ProRes 422HQ
- Apple ProRes 4444 (including transparency)
- Apple ProRes 422 Proxy (not supported for export)
Devices That Support ProRes
The following devices support import and use of ProRes media in a LumaFusion timeline.
- Any iPad Pro with a USB-C interface (this includes iPad Pro 11" 1st gen and above, and iPad Pro 12.9" 3rd gen and above)
- The new iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro
- The new iPad Mini
- The iPad Air (all models) DOES NOT support the the use of ProRes Media in a LumaFusion timeline.